Monday, January 6, 2014

Drew's Baptism!

Saturday Drew was baptized!!


We have been looking forward to this for such a long time and the time finally came! I wish I could say that everything was hunky dory last weekend, but it was far from it. We had one of the toughest weekends we've had in a long time. Satan was working double, maybe triple hard on us and I think we all felt it. It was a trying weekend and I am so happy that it is in the past and that Satan lost!

Vaughn's parents drove up on Friday and we enjoyed having them here. They helped us deal with everything and it was nice to have them here and to council with them and to feel like we had someone in our corner to support us! 

Still working on projects. Up until the very last day! Taysom wanted to help and he he did! 

This kid seems to be afraid of heights most the time, but when he was up here he was fearless!

This kid will attend his first scout meeting tomorrow and he is so excited! He has almost everything he needs and is working on his Bobcat, so he can start working on his Wolf immediately! 



I was the Wolf Den Leader for the last two and a half years and he went with me to almost every den meeting. I was released back in September and I am kind of sad that I won't be there with him! I really enjoyed the scouting program and playing with the boys. I am not sure why people complain about it so much. It is not a hard job at all. I am so glad that he is still really excited about it even though he has done all the requirements unofficially so many times! It will be good to have someone else teaching it. That will help it seem "new" to him!

We are so grateful for the family that took the time out of their busy schedules to come and support us. Vaughn's brother Aaron and his sister Brenda with their families drove up on Saturday from Farmington and Kaysville and then left immediately afterwards. My mom, sister Connie and niece Breana also came up from Magna. Malita also came over and helped get Sam ready for me. She is such a great help!  We had a soup dinner when everyone arrived and Vaughn, Brenda, Luan and Richard all started rearranging my planter shelves and above the kitchen cabinets. Vaughn always likes to do projects when his sister and parents are here and I trust the their ideas, so I just let them do it! Some of the other people that attended the baptism were Drew's teacher Ms. Fogg, our friends the Hamblins and the Brodericks. The primary president, Audra Thompson, friend Jamie Hiatt and old neighbor Jason Peterson. There were others, but I was a little preoccupied and don't remember who else was there. 

Drew has been so excited for this! Last week he had his interview with our Bishop and he came out just beaming! He told us about one of the questions the Bishop asked. He asked Drew how we can show our love for Heavenly Father and Drew said, "by serving other people." Vaughn and I just looked at each other like "Holy cow"! He then almost word for word quoted Mosiah 2:17 "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." It was such a proud moment for me and Vaughn! 



I am in awe when Drew hits major milestones! I remember when he was maybe Taysom's age or younger and I would think about when he would start kindergarten then go to school all day then be baptized and then receive the Priesthood. Now he has checked off most of those and it seems like just yesterday that he started kindergarten! 

For the baptism his grandpa Hixson and Uncle Aaron were the witnesses. The water was freezing and Vaughn and Drew were both worried that Drew's feet would come up and that they'd have to do it again! When the ceremony was over Drew was just shivering! Poor kid. I wonder if the hot water had been turned on at all! 

While we were waiting for the other baptisms to take place the Bishop that was conducting the meeting got up and asked my mom to bear her testimony. (He was sitting next to my uncle who gave him the idea.) She was shocked and not very happy about it, but she did it. She is a better lady then I am. I don't think I would have done it. Anyway, she bore a sweet testimony and did a great job. 

On Sunday Vaughn confirmed Drew a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and gave him the gift of the Holy Ghost. The men that stood in the circle were Vaughn, Grandpa Hixson, Bishop Williams, Brother Wayne Henderson and Shane Hamblin. It was amazing the spirit that was felt by many. Drew was just beaming from ear to ear! He wrote down his testimony on a piece of paper (because he always gets nervous up there) and as soon as the member of the bishopric member sat down and said it was time, if you wanted, to bare testimonies, Drew was up and out of his seat! His testimony was AWESOME! I am so proud of him!! 

After church we went home and Luan, Richard and Vaughn put a nice lunch together! We had McKay and Tanner stay overnight with us so they could go home with their grandparents. Drew was glad that they had stayed and had fun playing with them. 



After lunch everyone left to go home. It was sad, but it was nice to have a quiet house!

Later last night I asked Drew how he felt. He thought for a minute and said he felt good.  I asked if he felt any different and he got a huge smile on his face and said yes! I asked what it felt like when he was confirmed and he said he felt a little weird. Like tingly. I asked if it hurt (knowing it obviously doesn't) he said no, just really good! 

No comments: