There were only three of them left and the girl before him missed hers as well. So they had a spell off for the runner up. The girl spelled her word right and then Drew missed the word 'picnic'. They then gave that word to the girl and she misspelled it as well.
They gave her a word and she spelled it wrong so Drew tried it and got it right! He had to spell one more word correctly and he did it!!!
While I am, of course, so proud of Drew, I know that anyone of those kids could have won. There was so much pressure on them. I would probably have a heart attack if I had to stand up there, in a dead silent room, with a microphone. There is no way I could even spell my name, I would be too scared!
It was heartbreaking to watch the kids be told they spelled something incorrectly and have to sit down. There were so many tears. My heart hurt watching their tender hearts be broken.
After he got his trophy Drew was all smiles! I told him he could be excited but he needed to be humble and tell the other kids that they did a great job. He is a confident kid, but I hope he can have good sportsmanship as he gets older!!

No comments:
Post a Comment